Lovers of reggae music over a certain age will love this story and unlike the resurgence of vinyl this is a big surprise. Cassettes only died because of the CD at the time they told us this new format CD was better and cheaper than cassettes but decades on we now know that CDs were trash and the analog sound of cassettes is superior and more long lasting as we notice our cd colleection crumbling into silver dust. They are putting digital recordings on casette thats brilliant thus turning the digital audio into an analog one. Technics need to make some 2018 separates.
According to Nielsen Music, cassette album sales in the United States rose by 35% in 2017, with sales totalling 174,000 copies compared to 129,000 in 2016.
The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtracks made up the whole top three selling tape albums, making up 22% of the total cassette sales.
More bands begun to reissue their albums on cassette last year. The White Stripes reissued their first three albums on cassette for the first time for Cassette Store Day. It also saw releases from American Football, Pvris and Wild Pink.
The big push was due to cassette soundtrack releases for Stranger Things and Guardians Of The Galaxy. Other top selling cassettes include The Hamilton Mixtape and recent reissues of Prince’s Purple Rain, Nirvana’s Nevermind and Kanye West’s Yeezus.
Cassette sales still only comprised 0.10% of all albums sold during the year though, so don’t worry about the increasing popularity raising production costs.
Find the top selling cassettes of 2017 below:
1. Soundtrack – Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2: Awesome Mix Vol. 2 (19,000)
2. Soundtrack – Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (15,000)
3. Soundtrack – Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Mix, Vol. 1 (5,000)
4. Soundtrack – Stranger Things, Volume One (3,000)
5. Eminem – The Eminem Show (3,000)
6. Various Artists – The Hamilton Mixtape (3,000)
7. Prince and the Revolution – Purple Rain (2,000)
8. Twenty One Pilots – Blurryface (2,000)
9. Kanye West – Yeezus (2,000)
10. Nirvana – Nevermind (2,000)